One of the fun things at Christmas is all the candy.
Our favorite brands repackage and get creative with new flavors. Candy is perfect as a gift for anyone and everyone, although some of our doctors and dentists may disagree.
Each year, the online bulk candy business, Candystore.com, uses its sales data to determine each state’s “favorite” Christmas candy.
Three years ago, in 2018, that survey revealed that Pennsylvania’s favorite was candy canes. We were a bit skeptical. Why would people who live in a state where copious amounts of wonderful chocolate treats are produced choose candy canes?
We enjoy candy canes. Just not as much as Hershey Kisses, M&M’s and Reese’s.
This year, Candystore.com found that Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup miniatures are our favorite. Yes!! But, candy canes still lurk there in second place and in third place was the Christmas version of candy corn – reindeer corn. (Really???)
Candystore.com said this year’s survey received more than 23,000 responses. It also checked with “major candy manufacturers and distributors to be sure our survey corresponded with their seasonal observations.”
This year revealed a few things:
- Peppermint Bark is on the move upward. Candystore.com said the candy is No. 1 in 14 states.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups lost three No. 1 positions and is down six spots in two years.
(”Hold up. There must be some kind of mistake here. Reese’s Cups are the divine candy of the Gods with zero flaws and only amazing chocolate and peanut butter combination along with perfect texture and soft snap. How could it be that they are becoming increasingly less popular?! I blame the bark lobby.”
- A few states chose Starburst. Is that really a Christmas candy? Although anything can be Christmas candy in the right wrapper. Starburst was No. 1 in Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii and North Carolina.
- Skittles were No. 1 in Florida and New Jersey.
- The disguised candy corn was No. 1 in Alabama, No. 2 in Connecticut (one of the states that has Starburst at No. 1), Georgia, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Utah and Wisconsin.
- In the you-have-got-to-be-kidding category, West Virginia chose Pez as No. 2 (Peppermint Bark is No. 1 there) and Louisiana has it at No. 3.
Reese’s unveiled new Peanut Brittle flavored cups. Have you tried them yet?