This position is located at the Richmond Indian Health Service Unit, Richmond, VA. The purpose of this position is to provide advanced dentistry services in accordance with the Indian Health Service policies, rules, and regulations.
Learn more about this agency
- Provides oral and radiographic examinations.
- Provides diagnosis of pathological or irregular conditions.
- Performs restorative procedures.
- Applies corrective treatment in cases of abnormal formations.
- Manages a single three-chair dental operatory and provides oversight to the dental staff.
- Oversee mobile dental unit(s).
- Provide mobile dental services as needed.
Provide direct services for patients, eligible individuals, non-beneficiaries, where applicable, and employees to include but not limited to vaccinations and testing for flu and COVID-19 in community centers, mobile health units, home visits, and other locations outside the service unit, when necessary.
25% or less – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
Must pass pre-employment examination.
Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period
ESEP appointees typically serve a two year trial period
U.S. Citizenship is required
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
This is a designated position covered by Public Law 101-630, requiring contact or control over Indian children. Due to this requirement, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
Confidential Financial Disclosure Form may be required.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/ .
You will need to set up direct deposit so we can pay you.
Background Investigation: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges. You may be subject to a credit check as a part of the background investigation process.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
Education: Applicants must have a Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) or Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree from a school approved by the American Dental Association (external link) (ADA) or the Commission on Dental Accreditation (external link) (CODA) or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (external link) at the time the degree was obtained.
Licensure: Applicants must have passed the National Board Dental Examinations (external link) (NBDE) which are developed and administered by the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (external link) (JCNDE) and possess a current, full, and unrestricted license to practice dentistry in a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
Experience: In addition to meeting the above education and licensure requirements, applicants must have one or more full years of experience, equivalent to at least the next lower grade level. Examples include: Performing a full range of professional dental duties requiring standard corrective, restorative or preventive measures; diagnoses and administers treatment for dental diseases and dental health problems of greater-than-usual difficulty; and dealing with dental health cases presenting patient-behavior and communication problems.
Additional Requirements for the GS-12 (or equivalent) Grade Level: In addition to the above Basic Requirements for the GS-11 (or equivalent) level, applicants must complete a 2-year residency program in dentistry, oral health, craniofacial sciences, or a related medical science; or equivalent experience, equivalent to at least the next lower grade level, and/or training.
Medical Requirements: Applicants must be able to distinguish shades of color.
Time In Grade
Federal employees in the competitive service are also subject to the Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
When there is a positive education requirement, or you are using education to qualify as a substitution for experience, transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution.
Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: https://www.ed.gov/accreditation
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 240 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: https://www.usphs.gov/ .
The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS – http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/
For NHSC – https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/
For HRSA Nurse Corps – https://bhw.hrsa.gov/loansscholarships/nursecorps
Fingerprinting, as part of the background investigation process, may be delayed due to COVID-19. All other background investigation procedures will apply. Be advised that your continued employment will require you to complete a fingerprint check within 60 days after notification of return to full operations and successfully obtaining a favorable background investigation.
This position has no promotion potential past the GS-12 grade level.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Additional selections may be made for similar positions across the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) within the local commuting area(s) of the location identified in this announcement. By applying, you agree to have your application shared with interested selecting official(s) at HHS. Clearance of CTAP/ICTAP will be applied for similar positions across HHS.
To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against the qualifications as defined in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement and your responses to the assessment questions.
You will be further evaluated/rated based on the information provided in your resume (your resume must state specific duties that relate to this position) and your responses to the assessment questions to determine your competency in the following.
- Diagnostic Tasks
- Interpersonal Skills
- Medical Reasoning
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Oral Communication
You will receive a numeric rating based on your responses to the assessment questionnaires. If after reviewing your resume and responses to the assessment questions, a determination is made that you have overstated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration.
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance. CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible for selection priority if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a “well qualified” rating of 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management’s Workforce Restructuring Career Transition website at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ . CTAP/ICTAP documentation requirements are listed in the “Required Documents” section of this announcement.
- Veterans, i.e. (VEOA, VRA, and 30% or more disabled) – https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide-for-hr-professionals/
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) – https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/support-documents/
- Interagency Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) – https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
- Schedule A Appointments for the Disabled – https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/hiring/
Click here to view vacancy questions: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11052469 . All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of, 04/05/2021, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process
Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
Required as applicable for the purposes of specific eligibility and appointment claim(s), and position requirements:
- Indian Preference Applicants: If claiming Indian preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432, “Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only.” Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. Refer to BIA-4432 link: https://www.bia.gov/sites/bia.gov/files/assets/public/raca/online_forms/pdf/Expires-3-31-21_1076-0160_Verification-IP-Application_508.pdf . When an Indian Preference candidate possesses Veterans preference the rules regarding Veterans preference apply under ESEP and the applicant must provide documentation in order to receive preference.
- Veterans Preference: If claiming Veteran’s Preference provide a copy of your DD214 Form (Member 4 copy). To claim 10-Point Veterans Preference, submit a SF-15 Application ( http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf ) along with the appropriate supporting documentation. For additional information regarding Veterans Preference visit: http://www.fedshirevets.gov .
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf .
- Current or former Federal employee: Include your most recent SF-50 or if Reinstatement eligible include your Career SF-50.
- Noncompetitive eligibles: Submit additional documents to prove your eligibility to apply to this vacancy.
- Transcripts, Degrees, Licensure, Certifications: Copies of Transcripts (Official or Unofficial), Degrees, Licenses, and/or Certifications are not required at the time of application. Applicants must list their education history including the type of degree(s) and major of study, and completion or anticipated completion (month and year) on their resume. If a position requires a certain number of credit hours in specific course work for qualification purposes, applicants must submit a transcript (official/unofficial) or provide documentation/list the relevant courses on their resume. Applicants for positions not requiring a certain number of credit hours but a degree may submit a copy of their official/unofficial transcripts or a list of courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades (needed for SAA) but they are not required. However, official transcripts are required after tentative selection and prior to issuing an official job offer. Applicants should list their license/certifications on their resume, along with the expiration date, if applicable.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 04/05/2021
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.