The Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia, is hiring for a Full-Time, Pulmonary and Critical Care Physician. The incumbent serves as the staff physician in the Pulmonary/Critical Care Section in Medicine Service of the Central Virginia Veterans Affairs Health Care System (CVVHCS) in Richmond, Virginia and is responsible for all aspects of pulmonary and critical care to veteran patients.
Learn more about this agency
The incumbent is involved in clinical, educational, and research programs which will involve the supervision and teaching of fellows and residents through the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Education Program. Program strengths includes lung cancer screening and management, advanced lung disease including ILD, and interventional pulmonology.
Duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
1. Provide inpatient consultations and attending responsibilities in pulmonary/critical care/sleep medicine and diagnostic and advanced bronchoscopic procedures in appropriate cases; conduct general pulmonary clinics.
2. Provide guidance to respiratory therapists. Serve as primary attending for patients in the ICUs on the Pulmonary/Critical Care Service. Participate in after-hours coverage and call coverage as needed.
3. Perform invasive procedures for which s/he has been trained and granted privileges. Interpret pulmonary function tests.
4. Participate in process improvement and quality assurance projects and other assigned administrative duties.
5. Teach, train, and mentor fellows, residents, and medical students.
6. Participate in the educational activities of the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine in the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine.
7. The physician should be ACGME Board Eligible, Board Certified or have completed an accredited fellowship program in Pulmonary and Critical Care.
8. The successful candidate must meet criteria for academic appointment at the Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor level at our academic affiliate.
9. Perform other duties as assigned by the section chief.
10. The incumbent is involved in clinical, educational, and research programs which will involve the supervision and teaching of fellows and residents through the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Education Program.
11. Program strengths include lung cancer screening and management, advanced lung disease including ILD, and interventional pulmonology.
– May be assigned administrative and clinical supervision over Pulmonary RNs and Nurse Practitioners.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday 08:00AM- 4:30PM
Relocation incentive: Not authorized
Recruitment incentive: Not authorized
Permanent Change of Station-(PCS): Not authorized
Education Debt Reduction Program-(EDRP): Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- The physician must possess and maintain current BLS and ACLS certifications.
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education: Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- License: Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Residency training: Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- English Language Proficiency: Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Board Certification/Board Eligibility in Pulmonary and Critical Care.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Applicants must meet physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to placement is required. This is a designated drug testing position. After appointment, you will be subject to random testing for illegal drug use. Requires lifting 15-44 pounds; pushing (approx. 2 hours); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers and both hands; walking and standing from 3-5 hours and kneeling. Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously. Must have depth perception and ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of colors. Hearing aid is permitted.
If you are searching for a unique opportunity that includes an excellent federal benefits package with one of the largest healthcare networks, then the Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center, Richmond, VA is for you.
– VA physicians and dentists earn up to an additional 7.5% of their salary (not to exceed $15K) in annual physician performance pay.
– Free liability protection with tail coverage provided.
– No physician employment contracts and no significant restrictions on moonlighting.
– Regular pay increases to include biennial longevity increases, annual cost of living increases (when signed into law), and biennial reviews of physician market pay.
– One full and unrestricted license from any U.S. state or territory is accepted at this facility.
– 49 Days paid time off per year (26 days paid annual leave, 13 days paid sick leave, 10 paid federal holidays).
– Pension plan – vested in pension annuity after only 5 years’ service.
– 401K-type plan (Thrift Savings Plan) with matching contributions.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA Physician Brochure .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of eight (8) hours per biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: A formal pay-setting process will be used to determine your salary. The salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50’s, etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- Separation Notice (RIF)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.