Psychiatrists at the Salem VAMC are first and foremost, professional physicians, and as such are tied to very high standards of ethics and professionalism. We are expected to deliver high quality patient care that is timely, patient-centered, recovery oriented and based on the best available research evidence and practice guidelines. This also is added to by one’s clinical judgment and experience when the evidence does not answer the complex clinical questions with which we are faced.
Learn more about this agency
Major Duties includes but not limited to:
The position involves assessing and treating substance use disorder residential patients and various mental health outpatients, with psychopharmacology and psychotherapy. This position is also active in supervising residents and assisting with coverage for the Emergency Department.
The incumbent is directly accountable to the Chief. Mental Health, Salem VAMC. The incumbent works independently; supervision is mainly advisory in nature. The incumbent provides first line supervision to residents and physician assistants as assigned, and may be required to lead clinical teams.
The psychiatrist practices according to her/his credentialing and privileging and also is expected to follow the Salem “Medical Center Memoranda”, available on the intranet.
- We are a teaching institution, so supervising students and residents are a potential advantage of this position.
- Research and publication are encouraged, but not required.
- We also have a responsibility to do timely student and resident evaluations.
- Attendance at grand rounds and/or case conferences is strongly encouraged.
- We should all be present at expected lectures on time, also, unless there are urgent/emergent clinical duties that delay us.
- We are also expected to keep up with the current literature in our field.
- Whenever clinical work is done, it is expected that we appropriately document that clinical work in a progress note and do an accompanying encounter to allow us to have adequate funding for patient care.
- We are also now required to have an assigned mental health treatment coordinator for all patients.
- We are expected to attend to administrative requirements, such as staff meetings, reading of e-mails, timely completion of discharges (within 48 hours, but usually prior to discharge), daily completion of notes, daily review to make sure all encounters are done for the day, and at a minimum of two peer chart reviews per quarter.
- We are expected to attend to the required performance measures, including timely completion of all applicable reminders.
On call responsibilities:
- On call is mostly from home with the exception of occasional weekend or holiday coverage with in-house PA or resident covering the in-house duties after morning rounds.
- We are expected to discuss with the resident or physician assistant on call all patients who come to the emergency room, all new admissions, and all problematic situations on the ward.
- We are expected to make clinical judgments when on call, teach the resident, and make sure appropriate clinical care is being done.
- On weekends, the attending is expected to do an attending admission note on all new patients and to make sure all patients on acute psychiatry have a clinical note in addition to an encounter.
- These notes may be fairly divided with the resident(s), but the attending is also supervising the resident notes.
- The chief of the service is also available for administrative emergencies or clinical emergencies and unexpected adverse events.
- When on call, check the admission log for new admissions to make sure all such patients have appropriate attending notes and initial H&Ps.
- Inpatient attendings should make sure that there is either an attending note or an addended resident note on each of their patients each day, along with an appropriate encounter.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday 08:00AM- 4:30PM
Relocation incentive: Not authorized
Recruitment incentive: Not authorized
Permanent Change of Station-(PCS): Not authorized
Education Debt Reduction Program-(EDRP): Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- The physician must possess and maintain current BLS and ACLS certifications.
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Board Eligible/ Certified in Psychiatry
Note: Addiction training would be a plus but not required
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: The physician should be physically and mentally capable to perform the duties of the position including examinations, formulate the diagnosis and treatment plan and educate residents. Physical activities include sitting, standing (up to 4 hours) walking (up to 2 hours), heavy lifting (45 pounds or over), reaching above the shoulder, and repeated bending. The incumbent should be emotionally and mentally stable; and capable to perform the duties of the position.
If you are searching for a unique opportunity that includes an excellent federal benefits package with one of the largest healthcare networks, then the Salem VA Medical Center is for you.
– VA physicians and dentists earn up to an additional 7.5% of their salary (not to exceed $15K) in annual physician performance pay.
– Free liability protection with tail coverage provided.
– No physician employment contracts and no significant restrictions on moonlighting.
– Regular pay increases to include biennial longevity increases, annual cost of living increases (when signed into law), and biennial reviews of physician market pay.
– One full and unrestricted license from any U.S. state or territory is accepted at this facility.
– 49 Days paid time off per year (26 days paid annual leave, 13 days paid sick leave, 10 paid federal holidays).
– Pension plan – vested in pension annuity after only 5 years’ service.
– 401K-type plan (Thrift Savings Plan) with matching contributions.
-Take a look at VA’s Top 20 Reasons Doctors Enjoy Working at VA and VHA Physician’s Brochure
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA Physician Brochure .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of eight (8) hours per biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: A formal pay-setting process will be used to determine your salary. The salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50’s, etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- Separation Notice (RIF)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.